Wednesday September 18, 2019
Hearth & Home Fall Cleaning Guide
With Autumn’s crisp air and shorter days, it’s a perfect time to close out summer’s outdoor lifestyle and prepare your home for the winter ahead. Take time to work on these chores and you’ll be set for a relaxing, snug winter season.
- Deep clean carpets and upholstery. Vacuum or spot clean upholstery and drapery; move furniture to get to baseboards and areas covered by rugs and furniture.
- With the change in seasons you’ll bring out the heavier blankets and throws. Take the time to freshen your bedding by cleaning everything; turn your mattresses to balance wear.
- Wash your windows – a cloudy day is the best time to take on this task. Clean and rinse screens to remove dust and dirt and don’t forget the sills and window tracks.
- Schedule fall furnace inspections; stock up on furnace filters to maximize savings and comfort; clean/replace humidifier elements.
- Clean ceiling mounted light fixtures and fans.
- Dust/lightly vacuum refrigerator condenser coil. Check the dryer exhaust tube and remove excess lint.
- Straighten closets and declutter as you shift wardrobes for the season.
- Clean all patio furniture and cover/move for winter storage; drain and store garden hoses. Turn off exterior water spigots.
- Caulk windows and doors; install weather stripping on doors/thresholds as needed.
- Wash exterior windows
- Clear your gutters and downspouts of leaves and debris. Overflowing gutters can make windows and siding dirty and create water damage/ice damming in winter months.
- Chimneys and flues should be inspected and cleaned if necessary.
- Touch up paint on trim, railings and decks. Use a wire brush to remove flaking paint; prime bare wood first.